Become a Member
World

What I saw in Jenin doesn't match the media reports

Several scenes cast doubt on recent reporting of the IDF’s two-day incursion into West Bank city

July 20, 2023 10:34
Cainer Jen in 7
4 min read

It was just the first of several scenes that called into question recent reporting of the IDF’s two-day incursion into the West Bank city of Jenin.

At the government hospital outside the Jenin Camp, medical staff told me that no Israeli soldiers had entered, even though they had the power to arrest any of the 100 or more people being treated.

Nor, apparently contrary to extensive reports, was there any visible damage to the hospital courtyard. Reporters had, it seemed, ignored videos on social media showing that only smoke bombs had landed — hardly an attack on a hospital.

The staff members in the emergency ward also told me most of the injured were young men who appeared to have been fighters. Just a small handful, they said, were civilians, who had not been shot but had suffered injuries from falling masonry or possibly from shrapnel.

Twelve fighters were killed in the raid earlier this month and an IDF soldier also died, possibly as a result of friendly fire.

Inside the hospital, staff told me that only three casualties were there, in the orthopaedic ward. A 17-year-old allowed me to photograph his metal-encased injured leg but not his face, while the other two, each aged 23, were willing to have their faces appear.

They confirmed they had fought the Israelis but declined to say how their injuries were sustained. Claims of a massive injury toll, distributed by local propaganda outlets and reported by much of the world’s media, appear to have been questionable.

The Jenin Camp is a hilly conglomeration of adequate if cramped houses, rather than anything resembling the conventional image of a refugee camp.

Topics:

Jenin

IDF

More from World

More from World

Latest from News

More from News