Become a Member
World

Did the White House block a mention of Jews?

Reports have emerged that the Trump administration did not just release a statement failing to mention Jews, they actively prevented a statement from being published which did mention Jews.

February 5, 2017 11:51
Trump 3.JPG
1 min read

The White House blocked the release of a statement to mark International Holocaust Remembrance Day which specifically mentioned Jews, according to US media reports.

The US State Department, which has an Office of the Special Envoy on Holocaust Issues, had formulated a statement which included a reference to Jewish victims. However, according to the Politico website, the White House told the State Department not to release the alternative wording.

The Trump administration has been heavily criticised by American Jewish groups for its own statement, which neglected any reference to the millions of Jews killed during the Holocaust.

The administration subsequently showed no regret for the wording of its own statement, which a number of spokespeople said was due to a desire to take into account “everyone’s suffering.” It was later leaked that it had been written by a Jewish Trump aide, Boris Epshteyn.