Become a Member
World

A day of disbelief

July 3, 2008 13:58

ByAnshel Pfeffer, Anshel Pfeffer

2 min read

Everyone agreed that it was a terrorist attack that could not have been foreseen.

The driver of the number 13 bus attacked by 31-year-old Husam Dwiat told reporters that his first response had been to harangue him for bad driving.

“When he first hit us,” said Assaf Nadav, “I opened the window to shout at him about his driving. I thought it was just a careless accident. Then he turned the bulldozer around and tipped us over with his shovel.”

Disbelief coloured all the eyewitness accounts and was a factor in the long delay before a group of off-duty policemen, soldiers and civilians finally managed to commandeer the bulldozer and shoot Dwiat.

Moshe Mizrachi, who works in an office overlooking the street, said: “I was shouting at the police to shoot. The bulldozer was crushing cars and everybody was scared to fire. They could have saved lives by shooting earlier.”

More from World

More from World

Latest from News

More from News