(JNS) The Biden administration has said they were “disappointed” that Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu cancelled a delegation to Washington at the last minute.
John Kirby, the White House national security spokesman, told reporters on Monday that the Biden administration was “very disappointed that they won’t be coming to Washington, DC, to allow us to have a fulsome conversation with them about viable alternatives to going in on the ground in Rafah,” Kirby told reporters.
Israel decided to cancel the ministerial visit after Washington abstained on, rather than vetoing, a ceasefire resolution at the UN Security Council on Monday.
Israeli Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer and National Security Adviser Tzachi Hanegbi had been scheduled to arrive in Washington on Tuesday for meetings with US counterparts to discuss Israel’s plans for a military operation in southern Gaza. Kirby said the officials would discuss proposals for “viable options and alternatives to a major ground offensive.”