Become a Member
News

'Our life has stopped' says Israeli whose mum and brother were taken by Hamas

Ayelet Svatitzky's family were victims of the October 7 massacre in kibbutz Nirim

October 25, 2023 16:29
2T3AD6Y
2T3AD6Y British-Israeli Ayelet Svatitzky, whose mother and brother were taken hostage from Kibbutz Nirim speaking during a press conference for the families of British-Israeli kidnap victims of the Israel-Hamas conflict, at the Israeli Embassy in London.
3 min read

When she woke up on Shabbat morning, Ayelet Svatitzky was surprised to hear her husband speaking on the phone. “There’s something happening,” he told her. “You need to call your mum now.”

It was only over the course of October 7 that the full horror of what had taken place at her mother's kibbutz, Nirim, became clear to her. The 46-year-old, who lives a two-hour drive north of Gaza with her three teenage children, was later to learn her mother, Channah Peri, had been taken by Hamas along with her older brother, Nadav Popplewell.

On Tuesday, Svatitzky spoke at the Israeli embassy in London on Tuesday alongside David Bar, a survivor of the terror raid whose sister-in-law was gunned down, and Ofri Bibas Levi, whose brother was kidnapped along with his wife and two young children.

The trio remains determined to inject a fresh urgency into the international effort to secure the release of over 200 hostages still trapped in Gaza.