Become a Member
News

Met chief apologises in person to community leaders over ‘openly Jewish’ remark

The meeting came after Rishi Sunak described the force’s treatment of a Jewish man as ‘unconscionable’

April 22, 2024 14:16
1252571679
Sir Mark Rowley is under pressure to resign over the Met's handling of anti-Israel marches after footage emerged of an officer threatening to arrest an 'openly Jewish' man (Photo: AFP)
2 min read

Jewish leaders have praised the Metropolitan Police for making “positive steps” over their regulation of anti-Israel protests but called for greater action to limit the impact of marches on the community.

A meeting between the force and Jewish groups was held on this morning amid the fallout over the treatment of a man who was described by a police officer as “openly Jewish”, threatened with arrest and prevented from crossing a road during a Palestine rally earlier this month.

Gideon Falter, who leads the Campaign Against Antisemitism, was filmed in a tense standoff with an officer while wearing a kippah and carrying a tallit bag in central London on 13 April. He said he had been attending synagogue prior to the altercation.

The Met has since apologised twice after Falter was told his presence at the march was causing a "breach of the peace".