Become a Member
News

Jewish Women's Aid warns of unprecedented domestic abuse crisis amid lockdown

JWA Chief Executive said that abuse had 'escalated' during the lockdown

July 10, 2020 11:37
Jewish Women's Aid has reported a 50 per cent increase in the number of women using its services over the past four months (Photo: QMI Agency)
2 min read

The Chief Executive of Jewish Women’s Aid (JWA) has said that there has been a “massive increase” in the numbers of women seeking help during the coronavirus lockdown, but warned that they were only “the tip of the iceberg”.

Naomi Dickson said that JWA was experiencing demand for services over a third greater than at the same time last year, and that caseworkers had remarked that women reaching out for support during lockdown were “exhibiting greater signs of anxiety” and that “physical abuse seems to be looming larger than before”.

“What we’re seeing is an escalation where women are unable to get out,” Ms Dickson said.

“They are telling us that their children are witnessing more abuse than ever before, and that it is causing trauma,” she added.

More from News

More from News