Become a Member
Israel

Israel attacks Hezbollah targets in Lebanon, pre-empting ‘extensive attack’

IDF Spokesperson: Israel will not tolerate attacks on civilians

August 25, 2024 08:57
2167483449
This photo taken from a position in northern Israel shows an Israeli Air Force fighter jet firing flares as it flies to intercept a hostile aircraft that launched from Lebanon over the border area with south Lebanon on August 25, 2024. The Israeli military announced early August 25, 2024 that it was conducting pre-emptive strikes in Lebanon after detecting preparations for "large-scale" attacks by the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah. Hezbollah said it had launched more than 320 rockets at Israel overnight, targeting a string of military positions, even as Israel's military said it was carrying out pre-emptive strikes against the group. (Photo by Jalaa MAREY / AFP) (Photo by JALAA MAREY/AFP via Getty Images)
3 min read

The IDF launched a pre-emptive strike on Hezbollah targets in Southern Lebanon early on Sunday, after detecting preparations on the Iranian proxy’s part to launch an “extensive” attack.

Approximately 100 Israeli warplanes launched simultaneous strikes on some 40 Hezbollah targets, destroying over 6,000 missiles and drones, according to the IDF.

The strike targeted missile launchers that had been programmed to fire at 5 am at multiple targets in Israel, including targets in the Tel Aviv area, the New York Times reported, citing a western intelligence official. “All the launchers that were targeted were destroyed and Israel [anticipates] a harsh response from Hezbollah,” the official said.