Become a Member
Israel

50 hostages could be released in exchange for 6-week ceasefire says Israel

Hamas has agreed to terms for first phase of hostage release says Israeli official

December 17, 2024 12:27
Copy Of 2181815686
Demonstrators hold placards during an anti-government protest calling for action to secure the release of Israeli hostages held captive since the October 7 attacks by Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip, in front of the Israeli Defence Ministry in Tel Aviv on November 2, 2024, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the militant Hamas group. (Photo by Jack GUEZ / AFP) (Photo by JACK GUEZ/AFP via Getty Images)

ByJC Reporter, Jewish News Syndicate

1 min read

Talks between Israel and Hamas toward a hostage release deal have gained significant traction, an Israeli government official said on Monday evening. Recent negotiations have focused on bridging gaps, particularly regarding the deployment of Israeli forces along the Philadelphi and Netzarim corridors during a ceasefire. Reuters reported that an Israeli delegation has traveled to Doha to continue the dialogue.

"The Philadelphi and Netzarim routes are no longer an obstacle; Hamas has shown flexibility on these matters," Defense Minister Israel Katz said during a Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee session. Reports suggest that Israel has also softened its stance on certain conditions. Currently, negotiators are working to establish an inspection mechanism for civilians moving northward—a system that Hamas previously rejected.

Progress has also been made concerning the number of hostages to be released in the first phase. The group is expected to include adults over 50, those with illnesses and individuals classified as "humanitarian cases," in exchange for a six-week ceasefire.

More from Israel

More from Israel

Latest from News

More from News