Become a Member
News

High Court blocks Westminster Holocaust memorial

The judge said there was an “enduring obligation to retain the new garden land as a public garden”

April 8, 2022 12:05
UK Holocaust Memorial
2 min read

A High Court judge has blocked the planned national Holocaust Memorial next to the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, quashing the approval given by Housing Minister Christopher Pincher last year.

The London Historic Parks and Gardens Trust succeeded in its legal challenge to the £100 million project to erect a memorial and learning centre in the political heart of the capital.

Mrs Justice Thornton ruled that according to legislation dating back to 1900, there was “an enduring obligation to retain the new garden land as a public garden and integral part of the existing Victoria Tower Gardens”.

But she did not accept the argument that siting the memorial there would have harmed other heritage interests in the proposed location. The idea for a memorial came from a national commission set up by Prime Minister David Cameron which reported in 2015.

Westminster City Council rejected planning permission but the project was approved after a planning inquiry.

But Mrs Justice Thornton said building would represent an “exceptionally serious intrusion into a green public open space of the highest heritage significance.” As a result of the failure to address the provisions of the 1900 Act, the judge said, “The potential impediment to delivery of the scheme is a material consideration which was not considered at the inquiry.”

The Chief Rabbi and the Board of Deputies had backed the project but prominent Jewish opponents to the location included Baroness Ruth Deech.

Barbara Weiss, an architect who campaigned against the location of the memorial, said: “This was the result we were looking for. It vindicates the importance of keeping parks as parks. While Victoria Tower Gardens is the wrong location, we support the construction of a Holocaust memorial but it needs to be at another location.”