Become a Member
News

Conservative candidate accused of ignoring dying Jewish man's plea over benefit cut

Matthew Offord, who is standing in Hendon, challenged by widow at synagogue hustings

May 29, 2017 12:59
Matthew Offord
1 min read

The widow of a Jewish man who died of terminal cancer after cuts in bereavement benefits took effect has accused Hendon Conservative candidate Matthew Offord of ignoring her late husband’s direct pleas for help.

Rabbi Yitzchak Schochet, who was chairing an election hustings in Mill Hill Synagogue last Thursday for Hendon, read out a detailed email from “Alan” (as the man was known for privacy reasons) which had been sent to Mr Offord, outlining the more than £50,000 reduction in benefit for his two young children, aged 14 and 10, if he were to die after the benefit changes took effect.

He wrote: “Should I die on or before the 5th of April, the current benefit would support my wife and children for 10 years, until my younger child reaches the age of 20”. But if he were to die just one day later, the benefits would drop in amount and time, to just over £6,000. He died at the beginning of May, Rabbi Schochet said.

Mr Offord, told by Rabbi Schochet that “Alan’s” widow was in the audience, said: “There is a huge amount of detail in that email”, adding that he had not received the information directly, but had been copied in to emails written to the Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequer.