Become a Member
News

Calls for Hamas to free Shalit after five years

June 24, 2011 10:17
The Chief Rabbi joins a new Board of Deputies campaign to mark the anniversary

ByJennifer Lipman, Jennifer Lipman

1 min read

Human rights groups and Jewish organisations have reiterated calls for Hamas to release an Israeli soldier kidnapped five years ago.

Corporal Gilad Shalit, who was 19 and had been serving in the Israeli army less than a year, was seized by terrorists at the Gaza border on June 25 2006. Hamas have remained intransigent in the face of repeated efforts by Israel and the international community to secure his release.

Alistair Burt, the British government minister responsible for the Middle East, was among those who called for the soldier to be allowed to return home.

In a video message he said it was "absolutely time for Gilad to be released, and the impact of this in the region would be immense" and said it was "grossly unfair and wrong" that Hamas continued to block Red Cross access.